RE: K&N...(longer)

some snipped...

> 2) I've decided to leave the snorkel in the upper airbox. Since it
> narrows I'd like to take it out, but there seems to be no way to do this
> without breaking it. I'm leery of giving my dealership any reason to
> hassle about modifications while still under warranty. This leads me to
> some questions.

The "snorkel" is just a press fit. I just clamped on mine with a set of
Vise-Grips(tm) or Channel-Locks(tm) (see the newsgroup argument over
trademarks) and pulled it out. Its actually a pretty soft plastic, it just
has a lip in it to lock into the top of the airbox.
Just take the whole upper airbox piece off and disconnect from the MAF
before you pull...

> Questions:
>
> 1) Has anyone gotten any static from their dealers regarding this
> filter, the removal of the "snow screen" or removal of the snorkel? I
> can't imagine that any dealership that wants to keep a decent
> relationship with it's customers would make the filter an issue, but
> with bumper to bumper warranties clogging up the mechanics time for
> every little thing the screen or snorkel removal might give them grounds
> to void the warranty.

My dealer(s) have all done this:
-Heeded my warning and not removed my K&N.
-Never said a word about it. One dealer actually placed it on the worked
order like "Do not remove/replace aftermarket air filter". But I think they
did it not to hold it against me, but so that their new mechanics (that do
the easy tune-ups and services) wouldn't mistakenly throw it out.

I've never gotten hassled about any of my mods...

> 2) I noticed that there is another door on the lower airbox that is
> spring loaded. Is this a door that opens at high rpm's to let in more
> air or does it perform some other obscure function?

Thats the preheat valve. It opens when the air is cold and closes when it is
warm. I'm not sure of the temp of open/close. When the motor is cold, it
opens to allow some warmer air off the motor/exhaust manifold into the
airbox to help get the motor up to op. temp. When that air gets too warm, it
closes so the airbox is only pulling air from the nozzle in the front
under/near the bumper.

> 3) Has anyone figured out a way to remove the snorkel from the upper box
> without breaking it? Does removing the snorkel improve performance or
> does ti just make the engine sound better?

See my comments above... It makes a nice noise at high rpm removed. It
"feels" like it has just a little more high rpm oomph. It seems like the
throttle response is a little better too. Highly subjective, but driving is
a very subjective thing for me. If I like what it does to my driving
experience, who cares whether or not it adds or subtracts .002
horsepower...(just hope it doesn't subtract) ;)

> Has anyone tried to get their dealers to use (customer supplied)
> synthetic oils (engine and tranny)? Was it a hassle? At what service
> interval did you do it?

My dealers never gave me a problem. I still paid for labor though...
I think I went to Mobil-1 at my 7500 mile service.
I let the dealer do the oil at the first break-in service at 5000? miles...
I have been on and off the Mobil 1 depending on how poor I am.
In reality, as long as the motor oils gets changed regularly between
3000-7500 miles depending on how/where you drive with new quality oil, it
doesn't matter what you use.
I tend to slack on my services a little, so I use Mobil 1 because it holds
up better. I do change the filter every time I change the oil though, not
every other time as recommended in the maintenance manual.

	Hope all this helps..
	-Cab