Re: K&N...long

>1) Has anyone gotten any static from their dealers regarding this
>filter, the removal of the "snow screen" or removal of the snorkel? I
>can't imagine that any dealership that wants to keep a decent
>relationship with it's customers would make the filter an issue, but
>with bumper to bumper warranties clogging up the mechanics time for
>every little thing the screen or snorkel removal might give them grounds
>to void the warranty.

You shouldn't get any static from the dealership regarding the air box mod.
Federal law states that a manufacturer cannot void someone's warranty for a
modification unless they can prove (without a doubt) that the modification
is the cause for the repair needed.

>2) I noticed that there is another door on the lower airbox that is
>spring loaded. Is this a door that opens at high rpm's to let in more
>air or does it perform some other obscure function?

The main function of the door is to let in more air under heavy
acceleration.

>3) Has anyone figured out a way to remove the snorkel from the upper box
>without breaking it? Does removing the snorkel improve performance or
>does it just make the engine sound better?

The silencer is held in the air box by two tabs on each side (a screw holds
it in on older models).  The tube is pretty flexible so you shouldn't have a
problem bending it to pull it out.  I would suggest using a flathead
screwdriver and wedging it in between the silencer and the air box.  If you
push it down far enough, you will be able to pull out the tube.  It will
take a little effort to pull it out though.  There is a slight hp gain on
the high end, but don't look for anything dramatic.  The growl the engine
emits is impressive though.

Marc