BAD BRAKES!

Hey guys-

This GLX is beginning to "drive" me crazy. I'm calling the local shop here
today to get 'er in. Has this happened to anyone before? I started the car
the other morning, let it run about 2-3min then began to drive. As I went
to stop the brake pedal was very stiff, and the brakes did not work. I had
to use the emergency brake to stop. Not very fun. I thought it was a fluke,
so I dismissed it....Until yesterday. I was traveling back from Killington
(GREAT skiing by the way) going about 95 when this IDIOT in a Saab 9000
pulled infront of me from the slow lane on I-93 I went to brake, and
"OOOOHHHH SHIIIIIIITT" no frigin brakes...... The same feeling in the brake
pedal, I had to drop down into 4th and pray I wasn't going to hit. With
both feet slamming the pedal the car began to slow, just in time, before I
ate his license plate. Actually I thought we almost hit, because I couldn't
see his plate. But we didn't. Luckily he gained speed quickly or it
wouldn't have been pretty. And now this morning, when I use the brakes all
I hear is like a grinding noise or something like that. And they are not
working all that well.

Has anyone else had this problem???

The car is a 98GLX 16K miles, purchased last summer.

Thanks
Chris-