Re: New car joy and sorrow (long)

In a message dated 7/28/99 3:07:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cvanpelt@aracnet.com writes:

> Of course the dealer tried to bend me over the parts counter for the needed
>  parts...they only sell "assemblies", not individual parts. I found a local
>  yard that will sell me the ENTIRE sunroof assembly off of a wrecked 99 GLX
>  for $325. When I say entire, I mean the glass, motor,
>  mechanism...EVERYTHING. I am leaning towards the used sunroof, even though
>  I don't need the glass or motor. Also, I am terrified of the prospect of
>  dropping down my headliner to replace the mechanism. Does anyone have
>  experience doing this? Has anyone else had to deal with a broken sunroof? I
>  understand that this is a common problem.

Chuck-

I just recently did this to my Jetta.  The same thing happened.  One piece
was broken, or so i thought it was only one metal piece.  When i ripped the
entire thing down it turned out that i needed 3 different pieces.  Not
expensive but the fact that i had to put it all back in and wait till next
weekend cause the delaership was closed kinda sucked.  Takeing down the
headliner to get to it isnt to hard.  Best bet is to used the Bently Manual.
It tells you how to swap it out.  Whole process isn't hard, just time
consumming.  If you have any specific questions I'm sure i can help.  Going
with the used roof isn't a bad idea cause it will keep you from trying o have
to line up the entire assembly and glass when its back in the car(that part
sucked).

Jeff