New car joy and sorrow (long)

Hi all. I'm new to the group and new to my 1995 Jetta GLX VR6. I just
bought it a week ago (upgrading from an '85 Quantum).

The car is in generally great shape and I am quite happy with it overall.
There are a few minor flaws, however:

1. The radio security code given to me with the car's paperwork is
incorrect. Not a huge deal since I needed an excuse to buy and install a
new Blaupunkt system anyway. ;-) Besides...I understand that the dealer can
get the code for me.
2. The side molding on the doors apparently came off and was glued back on
poorly. Glue gooped out around the edges. I plan to pull it off and start
over. I have followed the door molding thread that started recently and
found it helpful. Thanks!
3. Needed new plugs...the factory plugs were still installed after 71,000
miles.
4. Brown waxy substance on the intaKe manifold. Got it off the aluminum
parts with a wire brush. Painted the plastic part. Looks great now.
5. No glove box! OK, so this isn't a true "flaw", but it's annoying as
hell. The first thing I did was to order a glove box off of a junked Jetta
somewhere in Cali. Airbag safety be damned! I need a place to put CD's!
6. The sunroof used to stick. I say "used to" because there is a story:

I knew the sunroof was sticky when I got the car and used this as a
negotiating factor. After I took ownership, my wife decided to try to get
the sunroof to open...CRACK was the next sound that I heard.

Upon inspection the next day, one of the metal pawls that slides back and
forth broke into two pieces. It seems unbelievable that the sunroof motor
has enough power to snap a piece of metal like that, but there you go. I
went from a small adjustment needed to a major repair.

Of course the dealer tried to bend me over the parts counter for the needed
parts...they only sell "assemblies", not individual parts. I found a local
yard that will sell me the ENTIRE sunroof assembly off of a wrecked 99 GLX
for $325. When I say entire, I mean the glass, motor,
mechanism...EVERYTHING. I am leaning towards the used sunroof, even though
I don't need the glass or motor. Also, I am terrified of the prospect of
dropping down my headliner to replace the mechanism. Does anyone have
experience doing this? Has anyone else had to deal with a broken sunroof? I
understand that this is a common problem.

So that's my new car story. I have big plans for this car, after I get the
sunroof whipped into shape. I already bought an ABD upper front stress bar
and plan to install aftermarket sway bars, new larger alloys and tires, and
stiffer springs and shocks.

Thanks in advance for any advice that is given.

Chuck Van Pelt
1995 Jetta GLX VR6 "Sprout" (That's what my wife calls it...it's green ;-)