Re: Repost: Need some minor help

At 12:46 AM -0700 7/24/99, David Bergesen wrote:
OK. Most of the help I need has to do with odd noises. '96 Jetta GLX:

1) Recently, a small, inconsistent rattle developed in the sunroof. It seems to be coming from the plastic track stuff on either side, and happens both open and closed. If closed, all I have to do is press up on the glass, and the rattle is gone. Unfortunately, that is hard to do when trying to hold a good racing line with one hand, and cycle through the cog box with the other.

I may have had the same thing. One way I could reproduce the creak would be to put my hand BACK behind over where the sunroof retracts to. Push up on the fabric roof with your hand with 5-10lbs of pressure, quickly, at a frequency of about twice a second, and the jiggling sound would occur. After taking my car in twice, they found the problem, and fixed it somehow. Fortunately, this was done under warranty.

If you can reproduce the problem in this way, let me know, and I'll get the service/work order from the dealership, and pass along their notes to you so that you can present it to your service tech/mechanic for a solution.

2) Creaking from the rear seats. Seems more prominent when the armrest is down, although it happens either way. Most noise when turning/pulling g's, as the body flexes. Which hinges/latches/joints do I lube?

That's hard to say, since I've never done it. Try putting down the back seats and putting a little pressure on the hinges/joints to see if you hear any noise or hear any complaints from the seats as you put them up/down, and lube the ones that are asking for it.

3) Cyclic rubbing sound. It sounds to be coming from left front. I am suspecting a warped rotor. Any input? Rate of cycle increases with speed, so it has to be something that is going around, like a wheel. I can feel it very faintly in the steering wheel, and I can hear it as a rub-rub-rub sort of bassline over my music.

Interesting. No idea there.

-K