Re: my fellow driver...

Try to use some bug/tar remover on those black rub marks.  Don't know about the
scratches though.

I parked parallel on a street in front of a friends house once, only to find
the next morning that someone rubbed their car up against the corner of my
bumper and left a HUGE black rub mark on it (my car is WHITE).  It seemed to be
much worse until I got out some of my trusty tar remover (Blue Magic) and it
rubbed right off.  There isn't a hint of damage now.

Sorry to hear about everyones' unfortunate experiences.

-Chuck Simpson
'98 Jetta GLX "Knocking on wood edition"