Offset vs Wheel spacers

I'm trying to find 17" wheels to fit my '97 Jetta GLX (5 lug, 5 x 100mm).
Problem is, all the wheels I like arn't in the correct offset.  The top 2
that I like are the Borbet Type E (from Tirerack) and the MAS MGR (from
Discount Tire).  They both are available in 40mm offset.  The Tirerack says
my car needs 30mm but I remember reading on this list that 35mm is better.
Is this true?  If so, could I buy 40mm rims and use 5mm wheel spacers?
Maybe 5mm is thin enough to still let the hub enter the center of the rim
so it's "hub centric".

I really need someone that has more experience with this.  I've been saving
for over a year for a wheel/tire setup, and now I can't find one I like
that fits.

In case your interested, I like the Yokohama A520 in a 205/40/17 or maybe a
215/40/17.  What ever is closest to my original tire size.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Mitch

email: mitchman@owt.com
website: http://www.owt.com/users/mitchman/