Re: need help...hella air horns install

First of all .... Your stock horns are connected to a relay on a fuse panel and that's what's clickin' .
Check fuse number 13 on a panel. What you did with the HELLA relay is sweet, too much protection won't hurt. Disconnect a plug from the stock horns, using a probe light (or a light bulb with two wires) check the plug which you disconnected: on one terminal should be a constant 12V and the other should light up the bulb when you press the horn button ( ignition must be on). Then connect the signal cable (one that lights up the bulb when a horn button is pressed) to HELLA relay terminal #85. I hope it helps, let me know how it turned out.

BTW: If you look on the fuse panel, in the row of relays right above the fuses, second relay from the right should be the horn relay.

Matt
98 Jetta GLX
I Have a BIG headache with my stock horns too.

Matt Zajac
Technical Analyst
Beliot Corporation
E-Mail: MTZajac@beloit.com
Tel: (847) 229-5843
Fax: (847) 229-5880

>>> <SpeedieVR6@aol.com> 07/07 1:08 AM >>>
Ok, call me stupid. Call me a moron. I don't care. The fact is that in the
amount of time it takes to do a VR6 engine swap, I have tried to install
these damned hella air horns, and I still have no clue how to make it work.

I've mounted the horns (dual) and the compressor. Easy enough. The wiring is
where I f'ed up. Someone told me that all I have to do is disconnect the
stock horn and run wires from the connector directly to the Hella compressor.
Is it realy that easy? Then why did Hella mess with my mind and include this
bastard relay?

Anyway, this is how I've wired things up so far...forgive me if I don't
include a diagram (I'm stupid, remember?):
- Connected #30 on relay to positive terminal on battery, with 30A inline
fuse in between.
- Connected #87 on relay to positive terminal on compressor.
- Connected negative terminal on compressor to a ground.
- Connected #86 on relay to a ground.
- Connected #85 on relay to positive terminal on stock horn connector.
- Connected negative terminal on stock horn connector to a ground.

When I turn on the ignition and press the horn, I just hear a click. I've
even tried to switch the connections from the stock horn connector. When I do
that the horn goes off as soon as I turn on the ignition, so I know at least
the horns work.

Please help! I thought I was pretty good at doing stuff like this, as I've
installed everything on my car ('cept for the AWE short shifter), but now I
am truly humbled.

Thanks,
Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue "as soon as air horns are installed will post
thorough instructions for the archives" edition