RE: 18" or 17" rims?

Dave, how did you "take care" of the rear fenders? I have the H&R coilovers
riding on 215/40-17 (17x7), and it's weird, the rubbing the car gets in the
rear with passengers seems to occur where the fronts of the rear tires hits
the fender (the most forward part of the rear wheel well). How do I know
this? Those black plastic clips at the ends of the side skirts flew out, and
that part of the wheel well is slightly bent now. It seems as though the
wheels move *forward* somehow when going over bumps?? I have a friend with
215/45-17 (17x7) on his GTI-VR6 and the same thing happened.

Kevin

BTW, I went to the dealer and found out that VW does not sell just the clips
separately (ie. I have to buy the entire side skirt). WTF? I may have to
take a trip to the dealer sometime "after hours" for a little five finger
discount.