Re: Homemade Stealthbox (Was: Re: Power window problems.)

From: Matthew P. Marlin

My last note should say *stealTHbox*, not stealbox (sounds interesting
though).

I didn't want to fork over $500 for a pre-made JLAudio stealthbox and not
know what quality subwoofer they were going to put in it (in addition to
drilling a hole in my trunk behind the wheel!)...so I made my own.  I've
heard horror stories of people buying stealthboxes (not for VW's) and upon
disassembly of them found below-par quality (i.e.- $30) subs in them.

I'll post pictures of mine if anyone's interested.  Here's some specs on
it:
It houses a 12" Cerwin Vega Stealth subwoofer (appropriately named).
It has an internal volume of 1.26 cubic feet.
It took me about 40 hours to make (including the mold).
It's hand laid fiberglass reinforced with aluminum (very light and strong,
with a tight acoustic response).
It has a wall thickness of less than 1/4".

I may be selling these @ shows in the Northeast US this summer, depending
on how big of a raise I get and whether I really need to supplement my
current income, the market for them, and what people are willing to pay.
Any feedback?  I think this is the most appropriate place to start asking.

Right now, it only fits in a Jetta, and does not inhibit removing the floor
carpet to get access to spare tire.  You need to take the box out to
replace a blown light bulb though, and installation does *not* require
drilling a hole in your trunk.  I could make them to fit Corrados, GTI's,
Beetles, Kubelwagens, etc. if there's enough interest.

Matt
'96 GLX "hand-painted all 4 calipers with 6 quarter-ounce bottles of
testors hobby paint last summer and no flakes edition"  :)

p.s.-  Curt, did you figure out what the problem with the window was?

Jeff Newton <Jeff_Newton@pmc-sierra.com> on 01/18/99 04:43:28 PM

Please respond to jettaglx@igtc.com