RE: Rocker Panel Removal

Last weekend, I got my wires run through the right rocker panel (except
for the amp power wire) and got my Blaupunkt head unit installed in the
dash. The dash install was pretty easy once I removed the heater
controls, the glove compartment and the right side kick panel to get the
wires through. There was also a plastic bracket that used to hold the
rear of the stock radio steady. I removed it to give me the depth I
needed for the Blau. I took a long 1/4" drill and drilled the 4 rivets
that held the plastic bracket in place. It came out real nicely with no
damage.

The Blau sticks out a little, which doesn't bother me, and the
illumination is quite a bit dimmer than the stock VW radio was. I think
I'm going to go back in there and check the voltage on the orange
"dimmer" wire. I wonder if its 12v or something less.

The next challenge is to get my 10-gauge amplifier power wire from the
battery to the trunk. So far, I can't find a way through the firewall,
so I'm thinking of going under the car, following the route of the brake
lines, then bringing it up through one of those handy plastic plugs in
the underbody.

Brian Wanamaker
late-98 GLX
black/ tan leather