RE: Cost-Free Do-It-Yourself Airbox mod...

At 1:41 PM -0500 2/17/99, Ng, Kevin (NationsCredit) wrote:
>For the
>majority of the market, the GA's are actually pretty decent tires.

Don't get Kevin wrong. I'm sure he thinks that the GA's suck as much as
anyone else on this list. He's simply saying that a lot of consumers don't
and won't care, as long as the tires are defective, etc. The GA's suck as a
performance tire because they stick about as good as teflon, but all VW
wants from a tire on the GLX is simply to last about 50,000 miles.

On the other hand, I can't think of any reason why they didn't produce a
"Drivers Edition" Jetta GLX, which would come with some sort of sportier
suspension (Bilstein/Neuspeed would be a good, common vendor to use), 17"
rims, and perhaps some Pirelli PZero tires? I would pay up to $3000 more
for this upgrade, as long as it was straight from the factory, and VW could
make a profit, I would think.

On the other hand, simpler, more streamlined product offerings would do
better to avoid confusion in the marketplace. I guess the auto
manufacturers figure that if you want those larger tires, and better
suspensions, you're going to invest in a Porsche or Mercedes SLK, or BMW
coupe or a Corvette...

-Khan