RE: Cost-Free Do-It-Yourself Airbox mod...

I think you need to keep in mind that if it were up to the engineers, they
would (and could) build a fantastic automobile. Cost is a HUGE reason why
some engineers need to "cut corners". So the fat American pigs want
cupholders do they? Well, rather than redesign the entire dash why not just
stick them in some unusable space and advertise that VW's have cupholders
just like everyone else.

And as for the tires, I believe that most people who buy the GLX aren't
die-hard enthusiasts like we are. These people basically want a nice sedan
that happens to have a 6-cylinder engine. Do you consider owners of the
Nissam Maxima car enthusiasts? I would guess no, and I would also guess the
Maxima comes with "sport touring" tires just like the GLX does. For the
majority of the market, the GA's are actually pretty decent tires.

One more thing about the P-flo. Yes, I do have the P-flo (only for winter
use), but I'm considering going back to the airbox soon because the thing is
just too damn loud under WOT. And therein lies another reason why VW
engineers designed the airbox the way they did: noise reduction. In fact,
the cone in the airbox helps to suppress engine noise even more.

I don't claim to have all the answers, I just think you need to take a step
back and look at things from a broader perspective.

Kevin
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue

BTW, I also wish VW would build more of a driver's car. I just can't see it
happening anytime soon...