Re: Cost-Free Do-It-Yourself Airbox mod...

Yeah...  the engineers of Volkswagen always know what the hell they are doing.
For instance, what is the purpose of the cup holders when they can't barely
hold shit?  Is there a reason for that?  Is there a reason they chose to put
Eagle GA's as stock tires?  Of course there is a reason for everything they did,
but I can't say its the best way to accomplish something.

What about the drivers on the list who removed the airbox completely and replaced
it with a P-flo or some other cone filter?  Is there something wrong with that?
Are they at serious risk of filtering out the dirty air with a cone versus a screen?
The engineers are going to be pissed to know someone would actually remove
the airbox they spent so much time engineering.  DAMN THE CRAZY VW OWNERS WHO WANT TO IMPROVE
THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR VR6'S!!!

How many folks with a stock airbox actually unscrew the screen filter and just shake
out the dirt periodically?  Nobody on this list has ever mention periodically cleaning
that screen... and I've been on this mailing list for 2 years!!  But I have heard about
the K&N filter many many times... and cleaning it as well (periodically).

BTW... when I did remove my screen, I couldn't just shake out the dirt.  That shit was
caked on.  I always wondered why my air filter was still oh so clean after 19k miles.

I'm not trying to put down the engineers... I just have to say they are not perfect.
I love my car very very much and I've been very happy with it ever since I
purchased it.

c-ya,

-Chuck Simpson
'98 White Jetta GLX-VR6