'98 GLX wireless remote? Seat height?

I'm about to buy a '98 Jetta GLX, but before I do I have a few
questions for this group:

1) The original wireless remote transmitter is missing.  Can I just
reprogram a new transmitter with some code found on the receiver, or
do I need to do more than this (e.g. replace both receiver and
transmitter)?  Would a remote from an NB work with the GLX if
reprogrammed?

2) I'm tall (6'6") and the GLX, of course, has the nice but
headroom-robbing moonroof.  And height adjusting seats.  Is there
any way to refit the seats so that they are lower and yield more
headroom? Otherwise, it is difficult for me to get a perfect driving
position.  I'm not afraid of taking the seat undercarriage out and
having it hacked up and rewelded.....

I've been without a VW for over 2 years now, and yesterday I drove
my brother's '95 Cabrio.  It was a blast.  Boy, I have really "lost
that fahrvergnugen", and I am looking forward to getting it back.
--
Willie Anderson