RE: Interior noise

My 98 GLX with leather is really noisy inside, too. Something creaks/rattles
like mad somewhere on the left side. I can't seem to pin it down. Rear door?
B-pillar? Front door? I don't know. I've read all the docs from the Whitey
VW web site that deal with interior noises. Nothing applies. I've put the VW
"friction" tape along the top of the rear door. No good! I even used a
light, silicone-based lubricant all around the door gaskets. At least its
only noisy when the weather's cold. And that isn't for too many months here
in Atlanta.

My leather "sport" seat is even more aggravating. It CLUNKS every time I
take a corner or stop even half-way hard. I've checked to be sure the
plastic pieces in the runners haven't fallen out and made sure all the
mounting bolts are tight. I think it's just poor engineering! There's too
damn much slop in the seat adjusting mechanism. The noise sounds just like
the rusty old '65 Vega I owned a long time ago, just before part of the
floorboards rusted away. A few months ago on this list, somebody said their
dealer was going to have the VW area rep come in and look at his seat noise,
but I never heard what the outcome was.

Brian Wanamaker
98 GLX