RE: sluggish V6/ gas guzzling

Depends on what acceleration you mean.
0-60 from a stop depends on what you do. The optimum speed is to rev to
about 3000 rpm and then pop the clutch. you should be able to get to about
7.2 sec to 60mph. You 16V GLI was probably lucky to do it in 8.5.
Believe me, the GLX is much faster, you just have to know how to use the
torque...

As far as highway speeds, the gearing is for top speed, you should usually
bump down to fourth to pass unless you plan to go over 120mph.

Easy mods:
K & N Air filter, or that PowerFilter gizmo if you live in a warm climate.
If you live in the snowbelt or where it gets cold, you shouldn't eliminate
the airbox and factory preheat cycle.
EPROM chip, about $100, can usually get you a little torque all across the
band, as well as bump up the rev limiter and elimnate the speed limiter. Be
very sure of your shifting ability with this mod, the new rev limiter can
damage your motor if you miss a shift (downshift when you meant to upshift).
Exhaust:
We have a AutoTech Stainless exhaust. Makes the car sound much nicer. Give a
little more oomph above 5000rpm. We got ours for $300 on sale, but they are
up to $700 now. Techtonics is a great brand also.

Gas mileage.
About 23 around town when I'm nice, about 20 when I hammer.
On the highway it'll go as high as 28 if I obey the speed limit. stay around
25-26 when I drive MY speed limit (85-90). Running good gas is a good idea
whether you need the power or not. Chevron with Techron is probably the
best. Sunoco 94 is also good if you can get it.

Hope this helps...
-Cab
'95 GLX (The one that sounds like a Mercury Outboard at full wail)