tires

Quick question, I own a '96 Jetta GLX and am currently running the stock
wheel/tire combination.  I have 26K on the car and the tires are pretty
much gone.  My wife drives this car 99% of the time, therefore I know
the wear's not due to abuse.  What is the average wear for the stock
Goodyear tires?  I expected at least 40K from them.  FYI, the car has
been aligned and tires rotated per VW specs.

What's a good replacement tire?  I'm thinking about buying BFG Comp TA
ZR's.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Vince
96 Jetta GLX