Re: Aggravating rattle NEED HELP

In a message dated Sat, 25 Dec 1999  2:11:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, Vwtrendz@aol.com writes:

>   I know exactly what you are talking about.  I had the exact same thing
> happen to me and it drove me absolutely NUTS for months.  What I found what
> was that the suitcase (midmuffler) had wiggled loose and every time I hit a
> bump the suitcase would smack the bottom of the car.  I tried everything from
> seat belts rattling around under the rear seat to a loose shock.  My advise
> is to jack up your Jetta and check out that suitcase.  I would be willing to
> bet that is the case (no pun intended).  If not, good luck and I feel your
> pain.  Let me know if that was it.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin (vwtrendz@aol.com)
> 97 Jetta GLX
> 96 Jetta GL
> 74 Bug

Justin is correct. I had the toughest time figuring out what the noise was and where it came from, but I *know* it's the suitcase. There's nothing else in that area that could cause such a ruckus. I haven't had a chance to fix it yet, but I do remember reading a post from the gti-vr6 list about the fix: there is a bolt at the front of the suitcase. Loosen it, rotate the suitcase, tighten. That should fix the problem.

Happy holidays to all,
Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue