Cat

Did anybody have problem with a strong smell from catalytic converter in their Jetta GLX? I have '98 Jetta GLX and after I drive little hard it always smells like old elephants' crap. VW issued a TB on this, but they say to change brand of fuel... VW service advisor told me that stock VR6 should not use the highest octane fuel (he raftered to it as a "slow burning fuel" ?????) and advised to change to 89 octane, well my jetta isn't stock anymore and 89 oct fuel would cause engine to knock due to changes in my ignition curve. I'm thinking of removing Cat and putting a straight pipe in its place, I noticed two O2 sensors, one before and one after cat, now I wonder if putting a straight pipe would cause MIL to go off. Can you guys and gals give me your thoughts on this? Any info or comment is greatly appreciated...
Sincerely

Matt Z.