Wheel Size?

This is my first post here.  I have a 97 GLX and I am looking to replace my
stock wheels.  My brother in law has a set of (I think) BBS 16"x8" wheels
from his old 87 BMW 535is.  The bolt pattern matches and all, but I don't
know if the offset will work.  The problem is, he lives in California, I
live in Boston, so I don't want to ship them out unless I know they'll fit.
Does anyone know if these two cars use the same wheels, or how I can find
out if they'll match?  Thanks.

Cab
97 GLX
72 Bug