Re: brake pads

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, John A. Kilpatrick wrote:

> I'm getting a new suspension tomorrow, and I was wondering, @ 37K+ miles,
> shouldn't I be looking at new brake pads?
>
> I know a lot of people recommend the mintex pads, but I thought the
> consensus was that they don't offer any better braking power, just less
> dust.

Can you lock the tires up now? Yes? Then you won't necessarily be able to
stop any faster by changing pads. You may get pads that have more grip, or
dust less, or handle high tempratures better, or are easier to modulate
when threshold braking. Those factors may allow you to stop faster under
some conditions by resisting brake fade or allowing you to more easily
maintain braking at the threshold, etc.

-Pete

> Also, how much am I looking at for a brake job?  ND said $170-$230
> depending on if the rotors are resurfaceable or not.  Do they
> really need to be re-done?
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> --
>                                John A. Kilpatrick
> john@hypergeek.net                Email|     http://www.hypergeek.net/
> john-page@hypergeek.net      Text pages|          ICQ: 19147504
>   "Where quality is like a dead stinking rat - you just can't miss it."

Peter Loron                                                  peterl@cnw.com
Before the invention of eruptions, lava had to be carried down the mountain
by hand and thrown on the sleeping villagers. This took a lot of time.