Re: Jetta flooded!!!

At 10:37 AM -0400 8/16/99, Naresh H. Singh wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I get in the car this morning and notice a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of standing
>water in the front passenger footwell. After a few moments of swearing, I
>pick up the soaked carpeted mat and run inside the house to get a towel. I
>sap up as much as I can and turn on the heat to dry the carpet. Then I
>notice water dripping out of the floor vents (both sides). I'm driving and
>the nubuck shoes I'm wearing gets soaked as well. WTF??  I'm thinking I
>have a clogged rain gutter runoff or something. The Bentley is at home,
>where are these things and can I get to them without putting the car on a
>lift??
>
>Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

You might want to get your car professionally treated. I don't know
what that means, exactly, but in my college days I used to drive a
toyota corolla. Someone backed into it, and bent the trunk, hence the
trunk would always leak when it rained. Water would get into the
trunk and cause rust to begin to form on (even the painted) surfaces
inside the trunk. It would suck to have the interior of your car
begin to rust.

So, if I were you I would do a lot of research on how to prevent your
car from being ruined. Perhaps invest in recarpeting the interior,
and have the areas affected by the flooding rustproofed.

It totally sucks that you have to go through all that, but I think
it's better to be cautious than having a rusted out car a couple
years down the road!!! (Not to mention having your windows fog up and
the feeling/smell of a musty car).

[sorry, don't know about the gutter runoff stuff]

Good luck,

-Khan