RE: Replacement for '98 GLX BOSE head unit?

Odd, very odd....

> > In either case, if you are running a "Premium" (non-Bose)
> > head unit, that alone should tell you that nothing special
> > is required to run the Bose system (assuming you have it).
>
> Kinda, sorta.  The "Premium" head unit doesn't have much in the way
> of volume modulation on the Bose amps.  That is, it goes from no
> volume to maximum comfort level (for my middle-aged ears) in about
> 45 degrees of knob movement (3 or 4 detent "clicks").  Do you have
> the same problem with your Sydney?

I wasn't fortunate enough to get any of the Bose system. I think someone
screwed up the install of your non-Bose head unit. You may want to get a
Bose head unit in first, or the other one working properly before you put an
aftermarket unit in (or have the dealer install the aftermarket). That way
if your amp is bad, you have a better chance of a warranty claim. There are
other on the list, or on the GTI archives who can tell you how to wire to
the Bose with no problem.

My Sydney works great from 0 to 50 something, at which point the speakers
start distorting, and I start going deaf.

> I've looked at all available decks which fit according to
> Crutchfield,

Crutchfield didn't carry the 7 series (Sydney w/ Cass,  Toronto w/ CD) when
I bought mine. Blau. had limited their distribution to certain dealerships.
I called around locally (Seattle) with no luck and ended up using
Continental Imports in Florida (http://continentalimports.com/) over the Web
with good success. He give a discount for package (head unit & CD, etc.) Fit
is near perfect. It looks like Crutchfield does carry it now.

> Questions:
>
> 1) Does the Sydney have the Blau VarioColour technology that allows
> the changing of the display color?  Crutchfield says nothing about
> it, and the Blau website is a bit ambiguous on this point.  And how
> well does the "Thummer" work?

It has the VarioColour, brightness adjustment (both day and night time), and
viewing angle adjustment. I was able to dial in a near perfect lighting
match and good brightness/contrast setup. All DSC settings (software
settings) are stored on the KeyCard, and 2 keycards are provided, so you and
another driver can have different fade settings, presets, colors, etc.

I see that Crutchfield is offering the Thummer for free. I didn't get that
offer, and I don't like the thought of extra junk on my steering wheel rim
anyway. I can see hub based controls, but the wheel itself is solely for my
hands. Otherwise, it might be OK.

> 2) Where does one find the plugs/wiring to put together an adapter
> to the stock wiring harness?  Does the Bose have a different plug
> than the Premium unit?

I remember two out of the three connections were direct plug-ins on the
deck, the third took a little splicing. There might be adapters, but I just
made sure to leave enough room to re-splice the factory unit if I wanted to.
I don't know about the connections to the Bose though.

> 3) Off-topic: what in the heck is that bracket in the middle of the
> rear shelf for, anyhow?

There's a child-seat restraining point in the middle, and reinforced spots
for one on each outboard side, if that's what you're referring to.

Tim Irwin