Re: A2 vs A3 (WAS: A4 vs A3 GLX)

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Robert Malinka <rmalinka@spec.net> wrote:

> What really makes you realize the weight increase in the VW models (A1, A2,
> A3) is when you drive other older VW's. This weekend I was driving my old
> '89 A2 Jetta and you really notice how light and agile the car is even
> though it only has a 4 cylinder engine.  The A2's suspension [slightly
> modified]is unlike any A3 VR6, which (now don't flame me on this) is more
> agile, responsive and stays on the ground better than most sedans I've
> driven. Anyone who owns one knows what I'm talking about here because if the
> new A4 is heavier yet I don't think we are going in the right direction with
> the genesis of our automobiles. How many of you guys or gals out there have
> owned older VW's and experienced this?
>
> Bob

No flame-fear was necessary, man. We all agree (just read the archives)
that the A2 suspension was much tighter and generally better in every
way versus the A3's. Why else would so many listers have spent so much
$$ upgrading their stock suspensions to something which will actually
keep the car on the ground during turns?

Bruce Stapley
98 blk/blk
Stock suspension/GA setup which loses rear end on on-ramps