Re: A4 Vs A3 GLX

>What really makes you realize the weight increase in the VW models (A1, A2,
>A3) is when you drive other older VW's. This weekend I was driving my old
>'89 A2 Jetta and you really notice how light and agile the car is even
>though it only has a 4 cylinder engine.  The A2's suspension [slightly
>modified]is unlike any A3 VR6, which (now don't flame me on this) is more
>agile, responsive and stays on the ground better than most sedans I've
>driven. Anyone who owns one knows what I'm talking about here because if the
>new A4 is heavier yet I don't think we are going in the right direction with
>the genesis of our automobiles. How many of you guys or gals out there have
>owned older VW's and experienced this?

I'm the proud owner of a '84 JettaGLi (their GTi-spec engine in the Jetta
chassis, in case you didn't know). It's in great, solid shape. The paint
isn't so hot - but there's almost NO rust anywhere, and silver paint jobs
look pretty good even 14 years later (but I still want to get it redone -
silver again). I love the thing. It's TINY! But only seems so. It's only
a few inches shorter than my '95 GLX, and barely any less in height
(especially since it's been dropped), but it much thinner. VERY light.
And that somewhat-modified 1.8l I've got in there is the torquiest thing
in the world - faster than the '93 Grand Am (Quad4 2.3l engine) that we
used to have. Crazy. Anyhow, yeah, I've got the Neuspeed sport lowering
springs and the Boge Progas shocks on it, and, man, what a blast to
drive! It's like riding in a go-kart. You can whing it around corners and
over bumpy roads and it just goes and goes - not like the (I have to say
it) wallowing, dangerous, stock GLX suspension. But, for 14 years old,
for 190k miles, that little coche is a BLAST. I plan on keeping it until
it "won't go no more." Once we get a third (new) car the GLi will attain
full Project Car status ... at which point I'll be able to afford
dropping a G60 into the little guy. Man. I love VWs!
-Tom

     /|=-    Thomas J. Boyer   --=|/
    /|=-    cyng@lamere.net   --=|/