Re: Road Rage

snip
>In a message dated 09/25/98 chartwel@bbn.com writes:
>
>this lowered GTI came out of nowhere and sat on her ass,
>Insert Saturn, for GTI
>
><<  WHAM I slam on the brakes, they just about kill themselves to stop,  >>
>I prefer the simple, yet effective stop at the light, e-brake on. Step out of
>the car, walk back to the ofender and say in a calm, level voice: "You
>rearend
>me acting stupid, and your parents (wife/children) will be planning your
>funeral tomorrow".
>
>Works like a charm.
>
>Dave
>98 GLX
>TRed
To add to this, on my BMW,I had a spare spot on my dash for a switch. I
got a spare hazard light switch from the junk yard popped it in and wired
it up to my brake light switch at the pedal. Now I was able to turn my
brake lights off at will. My original reason for doing this was to allow
me to slow down quickly for radar traps without tipping off the cops
(useful in NY state), but I found it worked very well for tailgaters as
well. It goes without saying that this is VERY risky and you have to be
very careful if you go this route.

I don't have this feature on my GLX because the cops are pretty lax here
in MI and I can drive my speed without too much fear. But also, I don't
believe it's worth it to escalate the situation (yes I'm getting old...)
so I prefer to take a deep breathe and let it go whenever possible.

Safety Fast,

John Darwak
'97 Jetta GLX Sequoia/Biber beige