Re: Locking fuel door update (WAS Re: Snippage and HTML)

No problem. What I noticed in a 98 Jetta Wolfsburg is that VW is no longer
routing the vacuum tubing on the rear right hand side of the car.

So, what you need to do is buy some *rigid* vacuum tubing from say a
hardware store, and obtain a T-connector, like from a wrecking yard (like
we did).

These are the steps you'd have to take, then, assuming you have the
mechanism, and the additional tubing (about six feet).

1. Peel back the carpeting on both right and left rear panels of the trunk.
2. On the left, notice some (possibly white) vacuum tubing that runs to the
trunk assembly to lock/unlock the trunk.
3. On the right, notice the mounting assembly where the locking pin goes.
4. The challenge is to get vacuum tubing to the assembly on the right side
of the car, from the tubing on the left side of the car.

What we did was:

5. With a sharp knife (a dremmel tool, actually) cut the white tubing on
the left hand side of the car, and affix the "T" connector to the severed
ends.
6. Affix the new vacuum tubing that you just bought to the remaining end of
the T connector, and run the tubing under the rear shelf (where,
incidentally, I have my CD changer mounted under the shelf of the trunk),
all the way across, and down to the locking mechanism.
7. Screw everything down, and (with your windows down and your gas door in
the open position, just in case you have a "vacuum leak") test it out, and
verify the locking pin is working. Lock, unlock, and verify the pin goes
out and in. Now close the door, and verify that the door gets locked by the
pin.

Now, you can verify that your door locks are working, (by seeing the
nipples, so to speak, go up and down on the door locks) and you should be
set!

This was a lot easier when they actually routed some vacuum tubing down
near the back rear of the car (1997 models and older?).

-Khan