smelly a/c vents

hey guys-
This is kinda' an odd question, but I've noticed that when ever I turn the a/c
on in my 97 glx, there is a strange smell in the car for the first few
seconds.  The smell is worse when I don't have the a/c on; when I have the fan
on without a/c.  It is kind of a sweet smell, it kind of smells like engine
coolant, but I don't know what it is...

Has anyone else noticed this?  Does it have something to do with the cfc free
a/c or is it something I should worry about?  If there is a problem, I'd like
to get it taken care of before the warantee period ends.  TIA

ROB
'97 GLX
met. green/beige leather
DEI keyless entry
Pioneer/JBL/Infinity/Hifonix/Phoenix Gold sound system