Automaic Transmission

A question to everyone with GLX's with auto trannys-do you have any gear slippage?  My transmission slips, if that's even the word for it, when I shift at low speeds.  To clarify, an example would be when I pull into my parking space.  It is on a slight decline.  I pull in around a corner, put the car into reverse to maneuver back, and for a few seconds it moves forward, as if in neutral in a manual transmission car.  It then catches (smoothly, no clunking), and goes backwards.  It doesn't feel like a problem, and the dealer said that this is normal, but I want some feedback while I'm still under warranty.  My car is a '97 GLX, black with cloth, and I happen to love the automatic.  NYC driving is a pain when you drive stick.
Thanks in advance,          Adam