Re: 99 VW BORA

At 11:39 AM 9/9/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>In reading the latest version of Popular Science 10/98 Pg 22 they go on to
>blurb about the new BORA.
>
>TDI   - Turbo Diesel 90hp
>4 cyl - 100hp
>V5(?) - 150hp
>
>These will be available in 12/99. They show the same photo on
>http://www.vwvortex.com/features/99models/bora3.jpg
>
>Now whats up with the V5. I see a discrepancy with the 2 articles... Are
>they not offering the V6 anymore? If so perhaps the 98 GLX will be a
>collector at some point...

According to the press release that was posted on VWVortex, the V6 will be
available:
http://www.vwvortex.com/features/99models/index.html

1999 JETTA - Arriving late in 1998, the all-new 1999 Jetta will represent
the fourth generation
of Volkswagen's best-selling sedan. Dynamic new styling gives the new Jetta
sound
aerodynamics and a bold European road presence. Built to exacting
tolerances with laser welding
and space-age bonding agents, the 1999 Jetta boasts exceptional structural
rigidity, a trait
essential to crisper handling and control. A newly refined 2.0 liter
four-cylinder engine is standard
in the Jetta. The 2.0 liters' new low-block design, cast aluminum oil pan,
new lightweight valve
train and other improvements give the Jetta better torque response and
smoother performance
characteristics.

The standard GL model will come with a wealth of standard equipment,
including side airbags, a
premium cassette stereo, ABS, height and telescoping steering wheel, heated
remote mirrors and
much more. A GLS model, which can be ordered for the first time with an
optional VR6
powertrain, adds such things as power windows and mirrors, cruise control,
alloy wheels and
center armrest.

The top-of-the-line Jetta GLX model comes standard with the high-powered
VR6 and an
exceptional level of equipment and features including automatic climate
control, rain sensor
wipers, a refined wood decor, leather trim and high-intensity halogen
headlamps. An optional
sport package can be ordered with darkened taillamps, sports seats and
larger 16-inch alloy
wheels.

All Jettas will feature a fully galvanized body that allows for a 12-year
limited corrosion
protection.

 Andrew Ostergren
 boobie@ultinet.net