RE: shifting problem

> so you shift into fourth while sitting still with the clutch depressed and
> then shift into first?

Correct, using 5th also would work but is unwieldy; 3rd or 2nd are more worn
out like 1st.  Holding in the clutch for 3-5 sec. first accomplishes the
same thing, the input shaft (clutch side) stops so it matches speeds with
the stopped output shaft (wheel side) when you're waiting to go; or also
don't shift out of gear (but clutch in at 1K rpm) until the car comes to a
complete stop at the light.

Now if you want to attempt a 1st gear rolling downshift when you didn't need
to stop, that requires a double clutch heel and toe which I won't get into
here unless interest develops.

Gary Lin
track schooler, autocrosser, general mech knowledge idiot