Re: OIL CHANGES

>Dumb question here...I read somewhere that all oil changes don't need
>replacement of the filter (i.e. every other one needs a new filter) and that
>you can swap out just the oil and not have any problems.  Is there and merit
>to this?  It gets expensive having to shell out and going to the dreaded
>dealer every 3-4k miles.

Change the filter. Every time. You drain the old oil, right? It's got all
sorts of sludge and gravel and sand and crap in it. You don't want any of
that in your engine, right? Right. Okay, you drain your old oil and put
in new - but leave the filter on. Well, my friend, you've wasted your
time. At rest, oil pools in the oil filter. It collects there when the
engine's RPMs aren't forcing it through the system. It collects in there
just like it collects in your oil pan. Well. You drain all of your oil to
change the oil. If you don't change the filter, you leave at least half a
quart of grungy oil in your engine, because that dirty filter is still
full of the crap. Plus, its filtering sucks, because it's been used for
three months and thus it's all clogged with deposits and grit, now.
Change the filter.
 :)
-Tom

     /|=-    Thomas J. Boyer   --=|/