Re: Dreams of AutoBahn

At 11:36 AM -0800 10/29/98, Jeff Newton wrote:
>> It goes towards the whole alcohal thing. Only in the US where they
>are very
>> strict about drinking, do we have problems. But in foriegn nations
>where it
>> is common place, kids grow up being more responsible and thus not as
>many
>> problems.

>Are you suggesting that a law prohibiting DUI is a cause or a factor
>in accident rates in North America?!?  So if DUI wasn't enforced or
>punished, you think less people would drive under the influence and
>accident rates would lessen?!

No, he's saying (and I agree with him) that attitudes toward alcohol is
different in Europe. Attitudes toward driving are also different. European
drivers are generally not as much of the mindset that they are in their
"armored cars" driving around.  Nor do they think "ah, I can drive just
fine"

Especially in Germany, the laws against drunk driving are so strict, you
can have your license repealed after the first incident.

Many organizations have reported that driving speed is not directly
correlate to accidents. However, if you ARE going to be in an accident
mortality is lower in lower speed accidents.

In other words, accidents do not happen more often when people are driving
fast-- they happen just as often. However, if an accident does happen,
you're more likely to die in the high speed accident than the 5mph fender
bender.

Also, only on certain autobahns can you legally drive with no limit. You're
likely to cause an accident if you get into the fast lane any slower than
80mph.

-Khan

Khan Klatt <kklatt@nw.verio.net>                                       Verio
Network Engineer                                    Bellingham Branch Office
Tel 800.591.2757 x 13                                    725 N. State Street
Fax 360.738.8315                                        Bellingham, WA 98225