Relying on the infinite wisdom o' the list (long)

OK, guys, girls, I really need some guidance on this one.  Please help
me out if you can.

First some background.

I bought this car in Oct. '96 (a '97 Jetta GLX) and starting on a trip
(Jan '98) from home to school (LA to KY) I started to hear a scraping
noise coming from the driver's rear wheel area.  Right before I pulled
into the driveway, the ABS light finally came on.  [[Of note here is
that when I got out of the car, the area smelled a lot like rubber.]]
Well, I took it to the dealer there and they "fixed " it by replacing
the wheel speed sensor for that wheel.  All was well until...

April '98 The same thing happened, but this time when I took it in, they
just cleaned the brakes and said it was fine (wrong).  So while waiting
for the wheel speed sensor again, the problem got progressively worse
until the ABS light was on most of the time and the sound was very loud
(it got to be more of a clicking at slow speeds -- sounding like a
scrape at higher speeds).  Backing out of the garage one day, when I
applied the brakes, the ABS pump began to cycle.  This continued (every
time I would back up slowly and brake).  Soooo, I went out to test the
ABS -- oops, the wheel in question would lock (whether the ABS light was
on or not) while the others would not.  Needless to say, this is a scary
situation.

FINALLY:

Today I went to the local dealer (this is now in Pittsburgh, PA) to get
the scraping noise from the rear brakes fixed -- again.  My car is just
under the 2/24 warranty, FYI.  I explained the whole long process and
waited for the car.  When I got it back, I looked at the receipt and all
they did was clean the brakes and put it back together -- ALSO, I was
charged for this!!!  So I bitched and tried to explain (HA, like they
listen).  They said if it wasn't an obvious problem, I had to pay.  So I
took the Asst. Service Mgr. for a ride to show him the obvious problem.
They persisted that it is just a pad scraping or something on the rotor
-- something normal.  I told them to show me any other car VW in Pgh.
that did the same thing off the lot and I would go away.  They, of
course, dismissed that and they still wanted me to pay.

Well, I didn't, and I now have an appointment with the regional rep on
the 28th.  My warranty expires on the 31st and I'd like to know what to
do here.  Even if I get them to replace the wheel speed sensor again,
chances are it will happen again.  There is something else wrong here.
I need to get them to do something anyway.  This really pisses me off.
I refuse to go back to a dealer every three months to have the same
thing done.

HELP!!!

-erik
'97 Jetta GLX -I'm about to have to open a can of whoop-ass on someone
Edition-