RE: Speed Application

At 9:02 AM -0700 10/16/98, Tim Irwin wrote:

>What I'm trying to say in all of this, is that there is a linear
>relationship between engine RPM and car speed (assuming no slippage (clutch
>or tire) in the transmission to the ground).

In retrospect, I agree with what you say. Wind resistance would have
nothing to do with the top speed wrt gearing. It would only be difficult
(or perhaps even impossible) to get to the calculable top speed, but at a
given RPM, you would have to be driving the speed of the calculation
(assuming, as you said, that there is no slippage).

The gearing in the GLX and GTI, however, *is* different, I found the
figures online, and am looking again, and will post soon with proof.

-Khan

Khan Klatt <kklatt@nw.verio.net>                                       Verio
Network Engineer                                    Bellingham Branch Office
Tel 800.591.2757 x 13                                    725 N. State Street
Fax 360.738.8315                                        Bellingham, WA 98225