Re: Best Oil?

Billy my boy you can't go wrong with what your using in your VW.
But believe it or not VW was a pioneer in the early days of synthetics in europe
on recommending synthetic oils in their trannys long before the others even knew
what synthetics were.  BTW have you tried using 100% castrol syntex in your
engine?
I do and you really notice the turbine like response from the engine
especially up here
on cold days in the northeast.  The synthetic molecules are designed to
cling to the engine
parts so you don't get the wash down that you get with regular oils.  You
will especially notice this on a very cold early winter morning when you go
out to start your car after it has been sitting outside for a while.
There's no valve chatter that you get with regular oils.  Most of an engines
wear and tear takes place in the first couple of seconds when you start your
car and there's no oil in the upper cylinder head with the valves tapping away.
Synthetic oils will also hold up better under extreme heat longer than the
regular oil.
This is particularly applicable to the VR6 engine which everyone knows run
hot to the
point where regular oil additives that are mixed with regular oil start to
break down over extended time.

Dr. Bob

At 10:53 AM 10/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Here is what I know about synthetic oil and the VR6.
>
>VR6 is designed to run in the 210-240 degree range.
>Synthetic oil is designed to run cooler, and except under extreme
>conditions, rarely reaches 240 degrees.
>
>I have never had a VW tech reccomend synthetic oil.
>
>I run petroleum based 20w50, Valvoline
>
>The dealer put Valvoline 15w40 durablend in my car, it is a
>synthetic/petroleum blend.
>
>Billy T.

E-Mail

Home: rmalinka@spec.net