Best Oil?

Is it worth going to synthetic oils in the GLX?   I have just passed the
mileage
barrier for my free oil changes at the dealer, and was wondering if I should
change to synthetic, i.e. Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, Redline etc, or just
stick to the ole standard Valvoline 10-30, are there any other weights that
you folks on the list
 would recommend? My regional climate is 93-115F summertime, and
40-85F in the fall, and 30-50F winter.  I also plan to change the oil every
5k miles.  Any other opinions?  I didn't catch the name of the person that
is the Master Tech at VW, what is your opinion.

Thanx for any input.

Talat
97 GLX
Blk/Blk