Differential as a low end Upgrade.

A while ago it was mentioned on the lists and now I have talked to a friend
about it. Really curious about the truth behind such an upgrade.

Taking a differential out of a TDI or Trek or what ever and using in a GLX
or GTI. Something about the differential need to be stronger or so because
of the limit of diesal power. Using in a GLX or GTI would give quite an
upgrade in lowend strenght while still useing VW O.E.M parts.

I could be way off here and probably even have the wrong part but any help
would be great.

I remember it being mentioned that a full sec could feasable be taken off
the 0-60 but the top end would suck....but how much of the top end would you
lose? Hell if it is a matter of only being able to go 100mph...well thats
not bad....speed limit in NY is only 65 any ways. =}