Re: Shoe horn used on NB

At 09:12 PM 10/11/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Let's see what will happen first?  Burn up because of the cramp engine
>compartment? Or engine overheat because the cooling hose was cut through
>due to cramp quarters.

Don,

I just read your previous post and this one regarding the NB and having come
back from my local dealer Friday where I was looking at the NB, I agree with
you.  It looked to me as though they shoe horned the engine into the engine
bay.  I know one thing for sure and that is when I buy a car it has to be
worked on sooner or later, which is why I've been buying VW's for years and
years. VW's were easier to work on, for example, on the A1 Rabbit I once
changed a radiator in 40 minutes.  Oil changes, no problem, piece of cake on
A1 Rabbit and Scirocco, a little harder on A2, still more difficult on A3
(you have to get at oil filter from below, all previous models could be
changed from above.  Oil filters are now strategically located where you
can't get at them easily and they are tilted to accomodate oil dripping down
your arm as you remove the filter assembly).  Try getting to the plugs on
the 2.0L engine - you have to negotiate the intake manifold, this use to be
a piece of cake strait in with the wrench on the A1 and A2.  The NB looks
impossible to get inside the engine compartment.  It's starting to look like
a Honda in the engine bay!

Just my 2 cents based on observation. When was the last time any of you
listers went under the hood of the NB??

Dr. B

"original charter member of Midnight Auto"

E-Mail

Home: rmalinka@spec.net

Work: rmalinka@fairchild.lmco.com