RE: Overfilling

This is what works for me.  Those more mechanically inclined than I am may
notice that some of it doesn't make a difference, but I always get good
results.

1)  The engine should be warm, but you should let it sit for at least 5
minutes after shutting it off to allow all the oil to settle into the pan.

2)  The car should be on level ground & should not be jack up at either end.

3)  Take 2 to 3 readings, & when you read the dipstick, read both sides of it
rather than just one.  I've seen dipsticks give different readings on each
side.  Sometimes, a dipstick will get oil smeared on one side of it as it it
pulled through the dipstick tube.  What I look for is the reading that occurs
most consistently.  The reading that occurs most consistently is what I
consider to be my oil level.

4)  Do not hold the dipstick upside down or at any other angle that could
allow oil to travel upward on the dipstick.  This can give a false appearance
that the crankcase is overfilled.  Also, don't let it hang upside down for too
long before taking a reading.

If all this sounds overly anal retentive for reading a dipstick; that's
because it is.  I am a member of Anal Retentive's Anonymous.

Michael Keith
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB/DSP