RE: If Cutting Neuspeed sports is Unsafe

>>Where did you get this data and if it supports weight how can it be dead?
 I sure wouldn't want to waste the money just to cut them down.  You may
as well just heat them up.  In my opinion you should just buy new ones
with guaranteed rates.  Not to say you can't.<<

Dead coils are the coils that are bound when under the static load of
the car's weight. NS springs have a few of these coils. Since the coils
are bound, they serve no real function in the suspension. If you cut
these coils you simply lose the height roughly equivalent to the spring
coil diameter. So, as you can see, this is *much* different than heating
the springs, you're just making the overall spring height shorter with
little or no change in spring rate. Shine and Neuspeed have even been
known to recommend cutting dead coils where necessary.

SYNOPSIS: Carefully cutting dead coils with the proper tools is not
necessarily a bad thing.

Tom M. Matthews
tmmatthews@worldnet.att.net
'95 GTI VR6 Koni/NS Race