OFF TOPIC: scanning pictures

Hey gang,
 I've been having some trouble scanning in pictures for my website and hvaing
them look decent with a small file size.  I scan it in at 400-450 resolution,
and then the file size is right at about 4mb.  And then I shrink the vertical
and horizontal scale and that can take it down to around 400k, but then it
looks choppy.  I use the Micografx photo magic program. Does anyone have and
ideas/suggestions on how to make them look better and get a good file size??

thanks in advance
Matt

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5464