SPARKS????

Last night I went out on a cyn run up by wrightwood (in cali)....... on the
cyn run something happened that never happened before.
Sparks started shooting from my brakes!!!
I have mintex pads &  slotted rotors..  The runs were very high speed w/
lots of hard quick braking (for those turns I could not see.. it was 10pm).
A buddy who saw it said that is looked like I was riding on my rim it was so
many sparks..
has this ever happen to anyone?  is it normal?  I have about 10k on these
pads...and I have autox'ed, cyn run, raced on the so many times I can not
remember... BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN SPARKS!!!
some one help me.. I know the pad are metallic, but I never heard/seen
sparks..
I am confused..
george
97 glx