Re: What's the correct viscosity for synthetic oil in a GLX

My VW is a '95 and have not had any problems running Syntex.  I have a
friend who ran Syntex in his A2 way past 180K on the odometer.  The only
reason why he stopped running
Syntex was because he got in a head on collision and walked away.  Otherwise
I'm sure the engine would still be running like a swiss clock.  I had a '79
Scirocco before the A3 and I ran a Syntex blend 50/50 in that car. When I
traded up the car had well over 160K on the odometer with no engine work
done on the car in all the years I owned it. The only reason I had to get
rid of it was because the car rusted through but the engine ran like a clock
and still had plenty of zip.  The one down side to using a synthetic oil is
that if you don't have good seals and gaskets the synthetic will find the
opening and run through it. It will weep where ordinary oil will not.  But
on the other hand this shows you how well the synthetic penetrates into
bearings for lubrication because the molecules are smaller than regular oil
and are designed to cling to metal parts.  Regular oil will not cling as
well and after an extended layup without running the engine will drip down
into the crankcase whereas the synthetic will cling and lubricate.
Synthetics also operate at higher temp and longer without breaking down from
contaminates as regular oil will.  Just remember that synthetic oils were
developed for use in aircraft in extreme operating environments.  This is
the reason why they are very suitable as a winter or summer oil because of
operating range, ie 5W-50 weights.  And I know there are arguements that
synthetics are more expensive but so are engine parts and overhauls these
days. The first thing you will notice when using synthetic is the smooth
revving turbine like performance of the engine. You will also pick up a few
miles per gallon in gas milage.   My 2 cents on synthetics.

Bob

At 09:00 AM 11/4/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Question:  I've got just under 60000kilometres (37500 miles) on my '95 GLX.
>It's been running normal oil since new.  I was wondering at going to synthetic,
>but my VW dealer says there could be problems with a car that age.  My mechanic
>(whos always treated me well) says that he doesn't think that's the case, and
>that i should be able to go with something like the Mercedes authorized
>synthetic oil with no problem.  (It's horribly expensive, but it's the only
>synthetic okayed by Benz, which probably means it would be okay to use in my
>lowly GLX :).
>
>Anyway.  Wondering if anyone had yet another conflicting opinion...  Heh...
>

>Sundie...
>
>Dr Bob wrote:
>
>> At 06:07 PM 11/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> >I've been following every oil thread in the list for the past few months
>> >and
>> >have a few questions of my own ....
>> >I own a Black GLX VR6 (all stock accept for the tinted lights and
>> >headlight covers, which do make the car go faster !) and up here
>> >in Canada you can expect the engine temperatures to run
>> >205 - 240.   I've had one oil change already and had the dealer
>> >put in the synthetic oil ... I've noticed a slight decrease in engine
>> >temps, about 5 degrees.  I believe they used castrol 15w50 ... but
>> >I'm wondering what would is the best synthetic oil viscosity for the
>> >winter, can you run a 10w/30 synthetic oil in the winter, how long
>> >should you (or can you) wait between oil changes .....
>> >
>> >Thanks ....
>> >
>> >Thomas Muller
>> >Oakville, Ont - Canada
>> >98' Black GLX VR6
>> >No Mods
>>
>> Thomas,
>>
>> I have been using Castrol Syntex 5W-50 all year for the last 3 1/2 years in
>> New York.
>> This included 2 very cold winters a while back with no problems.  The upper
>> cylinder head
>> stays well lubed with Syntex. You really notice it in the winter when you
>> get a lot of valve tap on cold winter mornings with regular oil, but not
>> with the Syntex.
>> I change filter and all every 3 months or 3500 miles. I know it can go
>> longer on the Syntex
>> but that's just the way I always treat my VW engines and in return I've
>> gotten excellent
>> performance and longivity with the engines.
>>
>> Bob

E-Mail

Home: rmalinka@spec.net

Work: rmalinka@fairchild.lmco.com