What keeps running?

I just picked up my new, black with tan leather, '98 GLX last Friday,
and I love it!
I'm just getting used to some strange sounds and occurrences that didn't
happen with my old '89 Accord.
When I parked in the garage the first night and shut it off, the fan
kept running -- different from the Honda but not too unusual. Then,
after the fan stopped, I heard some sort of high-pitch whining sound
from under the hood. It finally stopped after about 5 or 6 minutes. My
theory is that there's an auxiliary electric water pump or something
that runs while the car starts cooling down. If that's the case, I'm
really impressed. Or, is there just something wrong with my car?

B. Wanamaker