Re: Car troubles are fun when rent+car+insurance are due

>INPUT TIME< Do you have any idea if I
> can get an oil filter from a source other than the dealership (VIP, NAPA,
> Parts America, etc - no Pep Boys around here) that will do the job for 3k
> miles? Should I use Castol Syntec Blend 10/30 for summer in New England?
> Or
> a heavier weight?

In Canada, Canadian Tire carries the Bosch filter for a little over
$10CDN.  Don't know about the States...  I'm using Mobil 1 5W30, and
having asked this list pretty recently, that seems to be alright for year
round in Halifax (our weather is pretty compatible with yours...)

. >INPUT TIME< Should I take the little bugger to the local
> alternator/radiator shop and have 'em rebuild it? Or shall I take the
> whole
> car into my mechanic's and have him take a look? OR shall I drop in a new
> battery and hope that that's the source of the problem?

I wouldn't just drop in a battery.  You can take your old battery to Sears
(among other places) and have them tell you if it's bad or not.  Then you
can use a multimeter and a manual (Bentley or shop) to determine which
component of your charging system is on the fritz.  Then you can replace
the faulty component yourself, probably for less than the cost of a new
battery (unless it's the alternator, in which case you might consider
second hand for now).

 >INPUT TIME< Any clues here?

You've got a leak in your heater core, or in one of the hoses which run
to/from it.  Repair/replacement will likely require rooting around
under/behind the dash...  Again a manual will lead you through the
necessary steps.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Chris