The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V2 #145

On  Sun, 17 May 1998, Matt Garland wrote:

>Some questions if you don't mind
>
>1) where'd you get the refurbished Sony ES?
>
>2) What was involved in switching out the in-dash unit?  Did you do it
>yourself (if so, was it difficult)?
>
>thanks much!
>- -matt

Matt,

1) I bought the refurb'ed ES unit (a CDX-C760) at a regular old retail car
stereo shop here in Chicago.  (If you actually wanna know store name,
address, etc. email me: bstapley@propoint.com.)

2) I paid the shop to install the unit, but installation is straightforward
if you have the factory pin-outs (I don't); it took them about 15 - 20
mins.  They just clipped and crimped.  As for removing the head unit,
several other posters to this list have mentioned methods of sticking
things in there and depressing the spring-loaded catches which prevent the
unit from sliding out.  Also required on a GLX is an amplifier for the FUBA
roof antenna (plugs in in-line).  Without the antenna amp, you will NOT get
AM (which might be acceptable) and you save about 40 bucks.

BTW, the C760 is discontinued (of course), which is when most refurbs are
released for obvious market reasons...

Bruce Stapley
Chicago
Blk 98 GLX