Wheels, rims and fender gaps

Hi all,
I'm looking to improve the Plus suspension on my '97 Jetta GLX.  After
reading numerous articles and consulting many friends, I thought I''d
take what I''ve learned and bounce it off all y'all and get some
feedback from the experts.

I'm looking to eliminate the dreaded large wheel gap mainly in front,
but also predominant in the rear, stiffen the suspension some and get
some nicer looking wheels.  This will involve lowering the GLX some, but
I don't want it slammed.  A 1-2 finger gap would be perfect, so a tuck
in any case is not the desired outcome.

After installing an upper strut tie bar from Neuspeed, I noticed an
appreciable reduction in the amount of body roll.  The inside wheels now
stay in better contact during hard cornering.  I've also purchased
Neuspeed Sport springs, which will reportedly get rid of the wheel gap
(1.5" - 2" drop) and greatly improve handling given the progressive
spring rate of 200-250 lbs, rather than the 135 lbs linear that came
stock.  I can't decide between the Koni adjustable shocks to go along
with these springs (adjustable being the key portion here), or the
recommended Bilsteins (Heavy Duty or Sport?).

With the new springs, will 225/45 17's be too big?  Does anybody have a
similar setup, understand what I'm going for here and then have a
recommendation on the best size rim/tire combo?

Thanks for reading.